Aug 2, 2009

From Japanese room to western room

We have a very strange Japanese room in our house. The previous owner of our house has built it himself.

IMG_4540

This Japanese room is on a raised floor and we just never really use it. The ceiling is too low because of the raised floor. The sliding doors are not really Japanese in any way you look at it. It just look very... FAKE.

So I decided to convert this room to be a normal living room with very large holdable door in between.

The first thing first. Cleaning up.

IMG_4541

Then removed the sliding doors. This already gave us the sense of openness. I like it!


IMG_4542

Removing molding with crowbar.

IMG_4543


IMG_4546

Then remove the rails of the sliding doors.

This was a lot of work, at this was screwed in with so many screws. All of them were buried with wood dowel. So i dug them out with chisel. It was quite a hassle to get them out.

IMG_4547

IMG_4548

IMG_4550

But the real hard work was was above your head.

IMG_4552

IMG_4551

When the rails are removed, the room looks a LOT bigger.

IMG_4567


Then I started to remove the floor with crowbar also.

IMG_4570

About half way there,

IMG_4571


I managed to get them all off, so I meant to call it done for the day...

But my wife goes:

妻が、

"What if there is a dead body hidden under neath??"」

She is all worked up and worried about it. So I decided cut out some holes and look below the floor.

IMG_4579


Well, there was NO DEAD BODY.

But I guess she can now sleep well knowing that there is no dead body below the floor.

I am really beat, so would sleep really well also.

No comments: