Aug 11, 2009

Building a partition wall - Day 1

Now I am onto building a partition wall. I don't mean the partition walls that you see the office cubicles. but I am talking about a regular wall which is not load bearing.

So I got bunch of 2 x 4's and cut them in appropriate sizes and started nailing them onto the ceiling.

Since I am doing this entirely by myself without any assistant, even measuring distance was a headache. I had to tape up one end of my measure and take measure, then move onto next section... extremely time consuming.

When I was nailing this long 2x4 to the ceiling, I had to hold one end of it with another 2x4, life up the other end with my hand and nail it. Boy. It was difficult.

It went something like this.


There is a part where it is not perpendicular to the floor.


Once I am done with the ceiling, I moved onto the floor. I dropped a line from the ceiling to decide exactly how far the walls are going to extend out from both side of the room, and marked them on the floor.





Then I cut the 2x4's to the appropriate sizes and nailed them down to the floor.

Then the walls.


You need to use 16d nails to do this...

but they are ALL slightly bent. This is all brand new.


WTF?


Anyway, I got all 4 sides done.



I am done for the day. Will build frames here tomorrow.

No comments: